Using coconut oil to extract THC, is heat essential?

Extracting THC into an oil - is using heat >160*F essential or can you cold process the extraction by the length of time soaking?

2 Likes

If that’s the question you want answered: No, >160°F is not inherently essential for extracting THC into oil. THC is fat-soluble, so it can migrate into oil during a sufficiently long soak without high heat.

The important distinction is decarboxylation vs. extraction:

  • Extraction: THC/THCA and other cannabinoids can dissolve into oil without needing 160°F.
  • Decarboxylation: If you’re starting with raw cannabis containing mostly THCA, you need heat to convert THCA → THC. Simply soaking raw flower in oil for a long time at room temperature does not reliably accomplish that conversion.
  • If the cannabis has already been properly decarboxylated, a room-temperature or cool oil soak can extract cannabinoids. More time generally increases extraction, but it isn’t an unlimited substitute for heat.
  • Higher temperatures can speed extraction, but prolonged high heat also increases degradation/oxidation of THC and can alter the cannabinoid/terpene profile.

So if what you’re asking is “Can I make an active THC-infused oil without cooking it at 160°F, provided the cannabis was already decarbed?” — yes. A cold/room-temperature maceration is chemically plausible; it just tends to be slower and potentially less complete than a controlled warm extraction.

So says chat gpt lol. I do no heat soaks so I can have thca extractions. I typically use olive oil or mct oil. I usually let it sit for a month then strain off. Remember the thca will not be activated. You’ll have to cool w it or heat it to activate the thc. I make both active and inactive.

3 Likes

Tnunn So good to know, thanks for that. My GOM’s heat sensor is out of whack. Im also not that experienced with de-carbing but will keep at it.

1 Like

Reach out if you have any more questions happy to help :muscle:t2: