To trellis or not to trellis

So for a while i used a treilis on larger plants, however, in a recent run I did not top them and flowered small plants with more spacing and i thought the quality came out better with a better yeild. (Alot less larf) Any opinions on this topic?

2 Likes

Context: I’m growing in a 4x4 tent

I trellis using a PVC frame and 3" nets. With that said, I’ve done support rods/poles with grower tape for some runs, but find for my space, training and filling it is easier with a trellis. If I was working in a room and maximizing output from the space wasn’t as important, I’d probably lean towards poles.

With smaller plants, it seems less important in my experience in the tent. Whereas large plants with thick colas need more support, and the trellis helps me there.

1 Like

I agree, large plants need trellising. Heck, even small plants need it at the end sometimes. I just feel like a dense canopy in a trellis is really hard to lollipop the larf.

1 Like

I’ve done both and in all honesty I prefer to not make use of a trellis net. I now make use of metal stakes and prefer this technique as I’m able to work my plants better and keep better tabs on the harder to get places. I can also place colas exactly where I want them and I feel that stakes provide better support. I guess it suits my grow style better, different strokes for different folks! :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I have, but don’t anymore. If I need to support some branches I’ll use yo-yos, but usually don’t need to. I train my plants, ending up with stronger branches as a result. Also don’t grow too big, small to med size plants.

4 Likes

I try to make knuckles by bending and pinching / crunching up branches - kushman calls it chiropractics - the method may or may not have come from him with the strawberry cough like 20+ years ago :man_shrugging:t2: I’ve used trellis nets and cages but prefer nothing… I have a stash of yoyos to use as needed.

It’s a hard question to answer because different set ups and different cultivars have different needs.

Part of my selection process is what can survive with little to no assistance

2 Likes

do you think pinching / crushing stems changes terp expression at all when you’re not actually supercropping?

Can you point to more info about this technique? I think I understand however not sure when you say crunching up branches.

this is a good example from online, but it’s basically supercropping so that the plant has more support, not so that it grows sideways. You just pinch the stem and it will heal, if the plant is bulky you might want to use a stake if you mutilate it too much. I’m always surprised at how much damage the stems can take that being said.

6 Likes

Similar to kushman chiropractic (he has some YouTube vids of his method) I don’t go crazy, my plants aren’t that big …
Forgive my hillbilly terms - crunching up- breaking up the cell walls a bit by playing with them , you can hear them like crunch a little.

1 Like

Thank you. I was thinking this is what was meant. Crunching the branches through me off. I haven’t got to my morning coffee yet and it’s one of those mornings I need it. Thankful it’s Friday. I need some R&R.

1 Like

I honestly have no idea. - I have too many variables round to round and not a good enough nose to tell the difference between cultivars sometimes :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m a layman woodchuck, we say things different sometimes :slightly_smiling_face:

I think every room is different. How many plants do you grow in your space ? How large is the space, including ceiling height?

1 Like

I’ve used this technique when the plants are getting to tall. I never noticed a change in terps, tho

4 Likes

I mutilated a stem (hanging on by 2 fibers) really bad recently and everything survived but the terps went from dark berry to hot cocoa and stayed that way. Could’ve been epigenetic or unrelated to the stem mutilation, normally I don’t notice any change so I’ve been curious.

1 Like

wow so apparently it can have pretty significant effects on terp expression.
" In general, wounding has the potential to cause a systemic response, inducing the systemic production of hormones such as jasmonic acid and abscisic acid which have been linked to changes in cannabinoid abundance"
-https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/gcbb.12880
-https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2022.1082554/full
-https://bp.ueb.cas.cz/artkey/bpl-201201-0026_effects-of-abscisic-acid-on-content-and-biosynthesis-of-terpenoids-in-cannabis-sativa-at-vegetative.php

4 Likes

Really interesting, it’s amazing how different stress bring out different expressions in different plants. I’d think (in my case at least) the wounding applies more to my pruning and defoliating method but now I’m curious to see if a pinched cola taste different…

2 Likes