AI in the Grow: Are you using AI in your efforts?

The entire AI category has exploded in the last 6 months, with everyone GPT-ing whatever is in sight, including a race to add AI to the cannabis space.

As a writer, this is exciting (albeit overwhelming), but as a grower, I’ve wrestled with how AI can best assist me in my efforts.

AI Tools like ChatGPT can help with the “doing” aspect of digital tasks, but in the grow, the tasks that need doing are physical—planting, watering, defoliation.

Sure, grow automation exists (and is a natural place for AI), but what about in a small Hobby Grow without the bells and whistles?

How can Hobby Growers use AI to get better results?

Over the past few months, I’ve been racking my brain for a way to use AI to help me improve as a Hobby Grower, and here’s what I’ve come up with:

To date, the best way I’ve found to use AI in a Hobby Grow is as a data processor, analyzing your metrics and providing strain-specific recommendations for optimal results.

What most people miss is that you can’t just ask ChatGPT, “What’s the best schedule for my Mandarin Cookies?” or “How does seasonality affect my environment?” without giving it a reference point to make those interpretations.

For the best results, you have to provide that context and data you collect in your grow to your chosen AI platform.

The burden of data, of “thinking” is on you as the grower to be tracking your efforts and your results; AI just helps put the pieces together better.

How will you use/are you using AI in your Hobby Grow? Let me know!

4 Likes

I dont log data as well as you, I guess, that I should. I would be interested to see how you use it.

2 Likes

Not at all. Technology doesn’t interest me. Data logging bores me. Believe it or not I’ve never even made a spreadsheet, not exactly sure what they are for…

For small scale growing, minus the planting and defoliation side, with the right sensors, controls, and training data an AI could at a minimum keep your grow environment within optimum conditions while learning over time how to optimize for the specific strain(s) and results you are looking for. That could be cool and allow you to keep your focus on the important stuff. Planting and keeping the plants healthy (i.e. training and defoliating). :+1: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Agree! The more data and collection methods you have, the better suited AI could be to assisting. I’ve heard of some labs that are going to extensive tracking measures but access is limited to a small group from what I understand. Crazy times for grow technology, even looking at how far its come in the last decade.

5 Likes